Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cure For A Cold Day

Kandice: One of the better cures for a cold, winter day is a hot bowl of soup. Soup is just one of those things that warms me up inside and makes me feel better. So this week, since it has been colder, Josh and I made Herby Vegetable Soup.

Herby Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
2 Sprays olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 Carrots, approx. 4 oz, peeled and chopped
2 Celery stalks, trimmed and sliced
1 Potato, approx. 2 oz, peeled and chopped
¼ cup Quick-cook pearl barley
3 ½ cups Vegetable stock
Pepper
2/3 cup Lowfat milk
1 tbsp Chopped fresh missed herbs, such as parsley, chives, and cilantro

Josh: With this recipe I helped with the preparation of the dish. I helped by peeling and chopping the potato and carrots, while Kandice chopped the onion, celery and fresh herbs.

*** Note: If you love onions then this recipe is for you! But if you don’t like onions that much then we recommend to either buy a small to medium sized onion or just use half of the onion. ***

We only used ½ of the onion and the soup still had a strong kick to it!

Kandice: Once all of the preparations were complete, I started cooking! First, I took a large pan and sprayed it with the olive oil. Then I added the carrots, celery, onion, and potato to the pan. These were cooked for about 5 minutes, over low heat. I had to make sure that I remembered to stir often so that nothing would stick to the bottom of the pan.




Next I rinsed off the barley and then added it to the pan with the vegetable stock and a dash of pepper. This mixture was then brought to a boil and then left to simmer for a little over 15 minutes. Once the vegetables were tender I slowly stirred in the milk and let warm for 3 minutes. This made the soup very creamy. Yummm…

Finally I mixed in the fresh herbs. I added just a little more herbs than the recipe called for, about a ½ tablespoon more, because I wanted a little more flavor. And that’s how we made our cold day nice and warm.


1 comment: